GIFs are a great way to convey your emotions online. You can post them in your journal to share your thoughts on a topic, send them to one of your friends to share a laugh, or use them to comment on someone's post.
The only problem with GIFs is that not all social networks support this format and allow you to easily use GIFs on their site. In this article, you will learn how to post a GIF on Facebook, Instagram, Reddit and Twitter and never have to google it again.
How to make a GIF on Facebook
How to post a GIF on Facebook
Before posting your GIF anywhere, you'll need to create it. There are several ways to create a GIF. You can use Photoshop to create a GIF with images or videos. If you are not a power Photoshop user, you can use one of the online GIF makers instead. Some of the more popular options are GIPHY and MakeaGIF.
Once you have created and downloaded the GIF to your device, you can post it on Facebook. To post a GIF to your Facebook diary as a status update, please follow the steps below.
- Open Facebook and log into your account.
- Select for create posts.
- In Add to your post select Photo / Video.
- Find your GIF and select apri.
The GIF will then appear as an attachment to your post. Select Public to upload it to Facebook.
Facebook also has its own GIF gallery which you can use to post a GIF to your Facebook timeline. You can find it in Add to your post when you select Other (three horizontal points)> GIF.
You can then browse the gallery or use the search bar to find the GIF you need. You will find the same GIF gallery in Facebook Messenger chat when you want to send a GIF to someone on Facebook as a message.
You may want to use a GIF to comment on someone's post or reply to their Facebook comment. To do that, follow the steps below.
- Open Facebook and find the post you want to comment on.
- Select Comment.
- Select Comment with a GIF to choose a GIF from the Facebook gallery. To use a custom GIF as a comment, select Attach a photo or video, find your GIF and select apri to attach it.
You will then see your GIF appear in the Facebook comment thread.
How to create animated gifs with your face: the best apps
How to post a GIF on Instagram
Unlike Facebook, Instagram doesn't make it easy to post GIFs. The network does not support GIF format and when you try to upload it to Instagram, it appears as a still image.
However, it is not impossible. You can upload a GIF as an Instagram Story, as well as a regular post to your feed. You can do all this using the app called GIPHY. First, download and install it on your smartphone. To upload a GIF to Instagram using GIPHY, follow the steps below.
- Open GIPHY. Log into your account or create a new one.
- Giphy has its own GIF gallery that you can use to find a GIF you want to post. To create a custom GIF and post it on Instagram, select Crea.
- Select a GIF you created earlier from your device's gallery or choose a video you want to turn into a GIF.
- On the page Upload your GIF, select Share GIF.
- Select the instagram icon to post your GIF on Instagram. Select to share it on yours Feed o Stories.
GIPHY will then redirect you to Instagram where you can upload your GIF. You can use the same method to upload the GIFs you create in GIPHY to Facebook or Snapchat.
How to make GIFs from videos
How to post a GIF on Reddit
Reddit is the place where the use of GIFs is the most appropriate and expected. While you can't use a GIF as a comment, you can upload it to your profile page and post it on a community page. To post a GIF on Reddit, follow the steps below.
- Open Reddit and log into your account.
- Select Create message.
- In Choose a community select the community page where you want to post your GIF.
- Select Images and videos. Drag and drop your GIF or select Charge to open it.
- Back to the card Post, insert Title e Text (optional).
- When you are happy with the content of your post, select Post.
The GIF will then appear on the community page as a regular post on Reddit.
How to post a GIF on Twitter
If you want to tweet like a pro, you need to be able to use any type of media to support your tweets and comments. This includes GIFs. The good news is that using GIFs on Twitter is pretty easy. Similar to Facebook, Twitter has its own GIF gallery from which you can choose GIFs. To post a GIF on Twitter, follow the steps below.
- Open Twitter and log into your account.
- In What is happening select GIF to choose a GIF from the Twitter gallery. You can browse GIFs based on popular search results or use the bar search to find the GIF you want to post.
- If you'd like to post a custom GIF you've created, select Media.
- Find your GIF and select apri.
The GIF will then appear as an attachment to your post. Select Tweet to upload it to Twitter.
If you want to use a GIF to reply to someone's Tweet, please follow the steps below.
- Open Twitter and find the Tweet you want to reply to.
- Select Reply under the Tweet.
- Select GIF to choose a GIF from the Twitter gallery or select Media to upload your own.
- Select Reply to post your comment.
The GIF will then appear as a response to the selected Tweet.
How to post a GIF on any site
GIFs are great when you want to express yourself quickly without having to type long messages or replies. If you're looking to post a GIF on a site or platform that doesn't support the format and the methods we've mentioned don't work, you can convert the GIF back into a video and upload it online.
How often do you use GIFs online? Have we covered all the sites that make GIF posting harder than it should be? Share your thoughts with us in the comments section below.
- How to insert GIFs in Google Slides
- How to delete a retweet from Twitter
- How to insert a GIF into a PowerPoint presentation
- How to share Instagram photos on Facebook
- How to bulk delete all Facebook posts