Dates to mark on the calendar: 2 July and 27 August 2021.
After the recent rumors, Sony has confirmed that these will be the last months that the PlayStation Store will be active on the PlayStation 3, PSP and PlayStation Vita.
We read in the press release sent to holders of a PSN account that closures will take place on 2 July 2021 and for PS Vita on 27 August 2021 “After careful consideration” and “to focus resources on PlayStation Store for PlayStation 4 and PlayStation 5, which will further enhance the customer experience“.
From 2 July and 27 August, therefore, it will no longer be possible to purchase PS3, PS Vita and PSP digital content, games and video content included. On the PSP - whose shop was officially closed in 2016 - all purchases will be completely stopped.
What about the contents you own? The press release reads:
- You will still be able to download content you already own on PS3, PS Vita and PSP, including games and video content.
- You can download the content you own on your PS3, PS Vita or PSP by going to the Downloaded Content section on your device.
- If you have purchased a PS3 / PS Vita cross-buy package and downloaded only the PS3 or PS Vita version, you will need to download the other version before PlayStationStore closes on the affected device.
- Your video content can be streamed to PS3, PS4 or PS5 via the 'My Videos' app or to mobile devices via the PlayStationVideo app.
- As long as you are a subscriber to the service, you will be able to re-download and play games you have obtained via PlayStation Plus.
What about vouchers, wallet balance and cross-buy content?
- You will still be able to redeem game vouchers and PlayStationPlus on PS3, PS Vita and PSP devices once the PlayStation ™ Store is closed and purchasing features for these platforms are discontinued.
- You will no longer be able to redeem vouchers for PSN wallet funds (for example, gift cards) on PS3, PS Vita and PSP devices once PlayStation Store has closed and purchase features for these platforms are terminated.
- Your wallet funds will remain on your PSN account, but you will only be able to use wallet funds to purchase PS4 and PS5 products via the PlayStation Store on the website, PlayStationApp or PS4 and PS5 consoles.
- You will still be able to purchase cross-buy content via the PlayStation Store on the website, PlayStation App or PS4 and PS5 consoles, and access both the PS4 and PS3, PS Vita and PSP versions.
The three consoles belong to the sixth and seventh generation of consoles (it was 2004) and among these we remember that the PS3 has the ability to emulate the games of the first PlayStation, which starting from July will no longer be readily available.