We'll show you how to use an Echo as a Bluetooth speaker for your smartphone and more.
As an Amazon Echo owner, you can enjoy the Alexa experience playing music at your command. But what about your phone playlist or music collection on your PC? Could you play it on your Echo?
You will be happy to know that you can. We will show you how to use any Echo device as a Bluetooth speaker.
You can play all your favorite music on your Echo or Echo Dot from your phone. That's how:
- On the phone, open Settings> Bluetooth > Active Bluetooth .
- Now tell your Echo “Alexa, pair” or “Alexa, turn on Bluetooth”.
- Your Echo will enter pairing mode and Alexa will say "Search".
- On your Android phone, your Echo or Echo Dot will appear under Available devices . On an iPhone, it will appear in Other Devices.
- Just tap Echo o Echo Dot . You may receive a notification to pair with Echo, so tap Associate and your Echo will be connected.
- Alexa will then announce: “Connected to (phone name). Now that you're paired, next time just say plug in my phone ”.
To disconnect your Echo or Echo Dot from your phone, simply say "Alexa, disconnect" or "Alexa, disconnect my phone". Alexa will tell you: "Now logged out from (your phone name)".
To reconnect, say “Alexa, reconnect” or “Alexa, connect my phone” and Alexa will announce the connection.
Remember, if you have multiple devices connected, ask Alexa to connect to a particular device with its name, for example: “Alexa, connect to (phone name)”.
And when you turn on Bluetooth on your paired phone, your Echo will automatically connect to it when it's within range.
Your Echo or Echo Dot can be great for listening to music on your laptop or from YouTube. It also offers enhanced sound in Zoom meetings or online lessons.
It is easy to set up. Here is the process using a Windows 10 PC.
- Search for Bluetooth on your laptop.
- Click on Bluetooth and other devices under Best Match to open that page and turn on Bluetooth if not.
- Toccata Add Bluetooth or other device.
- In the window that opens, tap the option Bluetooth under Add a device.
- Then to your Echo, say "Alexa, pair". Alexa will begin searching and your Echo will appear in the device list in Add a device.
- Just tap on your device Echo and it will connect to your laptop.
And now you can use your Echo as a speaker for your laptop.
You may like to listen to music on a different Bluetooth speaker instead of your Echo or Echo Dot, perhaps because it sounds better. So you can even connect another Bluetooth speaker to your Echo device. With that, you can get the sound you want and have Alexa play music at your command.
To get started, first put your Bluetooth speaker into pairing mode.
- Turn on Bluetooth on your phone, then open the Amazon Alexa app for iOS or Android.
- Then tap devices > Echo and Alexa > (Your) Echo.
- Under Bluetooth connections, tap Connect a device .
- The setup page will open and your Echo will search for nearby Bluetooth devices.
- Your external Bluetooth speaker will appear below Pair Bluetooth device with Echo .
- Then simply tap on the name of the speaker and it will connect to your Echo. And Alexa will announce from the external speaker: “Connected to (name of speaker).
- Now that you're paired, next time just say just plug in my speaker ”.
Now you can ask Alexa to play a song, recipe or much more and you can listen to it on your Bluetooth speaker