Instagram has been around for a while now. Chances are, if you have an account, you created it a while ago. When you look at your photos, you realize how much you have grown, but ... now your username is incorrect, it's not what you want.
It's too childish, too average, in a nutshell it's not the name you want. Whatever it is, you'd like to change it because you have a better idea. Or you just have different interests and lifestyles. Or you've started a business and need your Instagram account to be part of your marketing strategy and require a name change.
Fortunately, Instagram doesn't ask you to explain your reasons. You can make this change whenever you want and as often as you want. If you're wondering how, read on!
When it doesn't work you already know what to do: Audio does not work on Instagram - What to do
How to make changes to your Instagram profile
Making changes to your Instagram profile is quite simple. Although your username is something your followers will remember, Instagram is one of the few platforms that allows you to change it. It is the same for other information on your profile: you can also change your display name, your bio, etc.
This can be a really good thing for all people who use their Instagram profiles for business. Do you have a new blog, article or any link you want to share with your followers? You haven't reached 10.000 followers yet, so you don't have the option to swipe up?
No problem. Insert the link in your bio and inform your followers in a story. You can do this whenever you have something new to share. Simply replace the old link with the new one.
Let's go back to the topic. How can I change the information on my profile?
First of all, know that you can do this update on your phone, using your Instagram app or on your computer, using a browser.
How to change your Instagram name in the app
Changing the name in the app takes no more than a minute, as you already have a new name and it's available. What you need to do is:
- Go to your profile. You can do this by tapping your profile photo in the lower right corner of the screen.
- Tap the Edit Profile option in the center of the screen.
- Once the Edit Profile page opens, you can choose which information you want to edit. Not just your username, but also your display name, bio, email address, phone number, or gender. Everything can be edited on Instagram. When done, save your changes by tapping the ✔ sign in the top right corner of the screen.
Read also: What to do if Instagram gives you an "unknown error"
How to change the Instagram name from the computer
This no longer takes time to do in the app. After opening the web browser, you need to:
- Go to Instagram.com and log into your account.
- Click the account icon. You will find it in the upper right corner of the screen.
- Click the Edit Profile option.
- Enter your changes and click Submit when done.
What if the name I chose on Instagram is not free?
Instagram will not allow you to change the name to one that has already been used. Unfortunately, you'll have to come up with a new one. But if you really like the name you've chosen, you may want to try some of these tricks before officially giving up on it.
- Add a number! For example, if you wanted your username to be fond of sunsets, but he was taken down, try adding your birthday. Something like Sunsetlover11.
- Add an adjective! A landscape username may not be available, but what about stunning landscapes?
- Double a letter! If your name is Sarah, for example, Sarrah isn't too bad, right? You can even triple it if the name isn't available yet.
- Add a period or an underscore! If sunsetlover11 still doesn't work, try sunset.lover.11 or sunset_lover_11.
You may find it useful to know that: Instagram allows you to try on clothes with augmented reality before buying
Does changing my name on Instagram affect my followers?
If we're talking about your private Instagram profile, changing your name won't do you any harm. Your friends and followers may initially get confused, but when they see your photos, they'll know it's you. They will get used to your new name.
On the other hand, if you manage an Instagram profile for your business or someone else's, you may want to reconsider the change. People associate brands with names - these are part of the overall brand image and help your followers recognize you.
What would happen if suddenly the Coca-Cola company decided to change the name of the drink? You would surely be confused and this decision could affect their business.
Can I go back to my old Instagram name?
If you think you made a mistake by changing your Instagram name, you can always change it. Unless someone else created an account in the meantime and took your previous username, in which case you won't be able to retrieve it again.
That's why you should think twice before clicking or tapping Save. Shakespeare may not know what's in a name, but Instagram users sure know.
When it happens it's good to know what to do: Instagram doesn't work today, 8 ways to fix
- How to change Instagram username
- How to change Instagram password
- How to temporarily disable your Instagram account
- Instagram user not found which means
- Why does Instagram hide my likes?