While WhatsApp doesn't come with a password to log into your account, it still has two-step verification to prevent anyone from logging into your account should they ever steal your SIM. Here's how to reset your 6-digit PIN if you've forgotten it.
Note: You need to set up two-step verification from the Whatsapp settings first, it is not automatically enabled when you initialize your account.
Of course, you'll need to retrieve your PIN if you forget it. Another time you may need to retrieve the PIN when switching phones, as WhatsApp requires you to enter the XNUMX-Step Verification PIN on the new device after downloading the app. You can't really recover the same PIN you used, but you can get back to your account by resetting the PIN.
Read also: How to use WhatsApp on your Apple Watch
- Go ahead and open WhatsApp and when it asks for your PIN, tap on the “Forgot PIN” link.
- In the pop-up, tap the “Send Email” option. This sends a message to the email address that WhatsApp has registered for you, the same one you used to set up two-step verification.
- If you chose not to enter an e-mail message during installation, you will need to wait up to 7 days before you can set a new PIN via the application.
Any messages you received during this time may be lost as messages older than 6-7 days are deleted. For this reason, if you haven't set up an email for your account, it's a good idea to do so, especially if you're setting up two-factor authentication.
- Then, touch the “OK” button.
- You should soon receive an email with a link to disable XNUMX-Step Verification. Tap the link and you will be redirected to your WhatsApp account in your browser.
- Next, you'll need to confirm that you really want to turn off XNUMX-Step Verification.
That's all there is to it. From here, you can log back into your app and start sending and receiving messages again.
Lastly, since you've disabled additional security, don't forget to set up two-step verification again, as your account isn't completely secure until it's reactivated.
Stay with us: How to know if WhatsApp isn't working or it's my phone
- How to recover deleted WhatsApp messages
- What to do if WhatsApp suspends your account
- Forgot Apple ID, here's how to reset
- How to recover WhatsApp chats without having backed up
- How to recover Windows 10 passwords