How to hide Instagram story from everyone but one person. Stories are the heart and soul of Instagram. We love sharing our daily updates in stories. However, if it weren't for the privacy settings offered by Instagram, we would be wary of sharing content on it. We usually hide an Instagram story from one or two people and show it to others. What if we want to reverse the situation? Hide the Instagram story from all but one person.
How to hide Instagram story from everyone but one person
There are many reasons for doing this. For example, I use it to test various Instagram Stories features. Likewise, someone may want to check whether their girlfriend is viewing their stories or not. You can also fool your friends with this trick by giving them the impression that they have shared the story with everyone. In case you are wondering how to show your story to just one person, there are two ways to do this. Let's take a look at it.
- How to disconnect devices connected to Instagram (phone and PC)
1. Hide the Instagram Story from all but one person using the Hide Story option
The first method involves the usual process of hiding stories from others. That is, you have to go to Instagram settings and select the people you want to hide your story from. In this scenario, everyone except the special person. Now let's check the steps in detail.
- Open the Instagram app and go to your profile screen. Tap the three-bar icon at the top. Select Settings from the menu.
- Go to Privacy followed by History.
- Tap the People option in the Hide story from section.
- Your followers will be shown. Select all of them individually by tapping the spinning bubble next to their name. Yes, you will have to manually select all of them. Instagram does not yet provide the select all option. Leave the person unchecked you want to show the story to. Finally, tap the tick icon at the top in the case of Android. On iPhone, tap Done.
When you use this method, the other person does not know that you created the story specifically for them, as is the case in method two listed below. However, as you may have noticed, the method is tedious as you have to manually select all your followers.
Also, if you have a public profile, your non-followers can still have access to your story. This is because you only hid your story from your followers. If this is a problem, you should make your profile private. For this, go to Instagram Settings> Privacy> Account Privacy. Enable private account. We've added a bonus section at the end on how to hide the story from non-followers.
- How to remove phone number from Instagram (phone and PC)
Do others know if you have hidden your story?
No. Your followers will not be notified when you hide your story from them.
2. Use Nearby Friends List
Another way to hide your story from all but one is to use a close friends list. Introduced last year, the Close Friends List is a special category of your followers who have exclusive access to your Stories. When you add a story to your close friends list, only people added to that list can view the story. Others don't have access to such stories.
So, in this case, you need to add that person to your close friends list. And then add the story just for your close friends list. That way, the story will only be visible to that particular person. Here are the steps in detail.
- On the Instagram app profile screen, tap the three-bar icon at the top. Select Close Friends.
- Use the search to find the person you want to add to the list. Remove others from the list in case you don't want them to see your story. Then tap Done.
- Go to the main screen of the Instagram app and tap the camera icon at the top or tap Your Story.
- Take a new photo or select one from the gallery. You can change them according to your preferences. Then, tap the Close Friends button at the bottom. The story will only be visible to the selected person.
What's the caveat
While this process may seem simple, there is a problem. Stories added to the close friends list have a green circle around them instead of the usual pinkish red. Then the other person will know that you added them to this list. In case the person is already on your close friends list then it is the best way as you just have to remove the others from this list.
- How to find a person by phone number on Instagram
How to hide Instagram story from everyone but one person, bonus
As mentioned above, if you have a public profile, your story is visible to people who don't follow you. To hide it from a specific non-follower, follow these steps:
- In the Instagram app, open the profile you want to hide your story from.
- Tap the three-dot icon in the top right corner.
- Select Hide your story from the menu. Confirm by tapping Hide in the pop-up menu that appears.
Read also: What happens if i delete WhatsApp?
- How to hide Instagram Stories
- 4 methods to reactivate someone on Instagram
- How to put multiple photos in an Instagram story
- How to share WhatsApp status as a story on Facebook
- How to put a GIF in your Instagram story