How transfer old WhatsApp chats on your new smartphone. WhatsApp is one of the most popular messaging apps around. But if you buy a new phone and transfer your WhatsApp account on it, your old messages will not be transferred automatically.
In this article we will explain to you how to transfer WhatsApp conversations to a new device, so you can pick up your chats right where you left off.
How to transfer old WhatsApp chats to your new smartphone
Google Drive Backup and Restore
The latest versions of WhatsApp include automatic Google Drive backups, which make the process of transferring your chat history even easier. WhatsApp tra i phones.
- Just tap the trio of dots at the top left of the screen and go to Settings> Chats & Calls> Chat Backup.
- From here, you can either run the backup manually or set it to run automatically as often as you like. When WhatsApp is reinstalled, you will be prompted to retrieve chats and media from Google Drive.
Manually backup your chats and restore them
If you haven't received the update yet Google Drive WhatsApp, it's still easy enough to create a backup and move it to your new phone. Read the following procedure:
- Open the WhatsApp Settings menu, tap Chats and Calls and then also Chat Backup.
- If your old Android phone and the new one mainly use an external SD card for storage, simply take the SD card from your old phone and insert it into the new one.
- For phones that primarily use internal storage, like most newer devices, connect your smartphone to your PC via a USB cable and access the device's internal storage in the WhatsApp / Database folder. This is where all backup files are saved with a date, you will see something like “msgstore-2013-05-29.db.crypt”. Copy the file with the most recent creation date (it will have a different name than the automatic backups created) to your PC to an easy-to-find location (such as the desktop).
- Install WhatsApp on your new device but don't launch the app yet!
- Connect your new device to the PC via a USB cable. Since you have already downloaded WhatsApp on your new phone, there should be the WhatsApp / Database folder. If not, you can manually create a new database folder in the WhatsApp folder.
- Copy the WhatsApp conversation backup file to this folder.
- Now start WhatsApp on your new phone and verify your phone number. At this point you should be notified that a backup message has been found. Just tap on Reset and that's it. After a few seconds, all your messages will appear on your new device.
Transfer WhatsApp chats from an iPhone to an Android
It is good to know that without the use of a third-party tool, it is currently not possible to transfer Whatsapp chats from iOS to Android or vice versa. However, users who have an iPhone can use iCloud to get their old messages back on the new iPhone in much the same way that Android users can use the Google Drive backup feature.
Know other methods that allow you to transfer old WhatsApp chats to your new smartphone? Was our guide helpful to you? Let us know by leaving a comment below!
Download Whatsapp Plus Apk latest version 2018
- How to divert calls on Android
- How to change your WhatsApp phone number
- How to transfer WhatsApp from Android to iPhone
- How to enable WhatsApp two-factor authentication for Android
- How to change phone number on WhatsApp from the same phone or from a new phone