Spotify, the well-known music streaming service, with which we listen to music of all kinds, allows singers, songwriters and musicians to publish their songs on its platform.
After having created a composition we are particularly proud of, it is right to share it to make it heard, appreciated or, possibly, even criticized by a real audience. And then being able to upload it to Spotify.
It makes no sense that it remains known only to us or to a few friends.
Among the other objectives of Spotify there is also that of "unlocking the potential of human creativity, giving artists the opportunity to make a living from their art".
In this article, we'll give you information on how to expand your following across the Internet by posting your music to a streaming service, in this case uploading to Spotify.
Preliminary information for uploading your music to Spotify
Joining the Spotify creators community is a good way to make yourself known as an artist.
This possibility is interesting both for professional composers or singers, but also for those who practice music exclusively for passion.
Currently, the Swedish streaming platform hosts over 70 million songs, by amateur and professional musicians, from all over the world and belonging to hundreds of different genres:
- and much more.
Spotify offers the possibility to experiment and, through the function of listening to random songs such as radios, start a career.
To start uploading your music to Spotify, https://newsroom.spotify.com/company-info/, it is not enough, however, to have only a user account, as the uploading of songs is not part of the services offered.
This task rests with distribution services, third-party entities that deal with the review, licensing and publication of audio content, within the main streaming platforms, including Spotify.
There are different types of distributors and each of them specializes in offering a particular type of service. In the case of Spotify, you can get in touch with distributors who deal not only with publishing music but also podcasts and upload your songs to Spotify.
In this article we will focus on how to publish music within the platform, illustrating:
- how to subscribe to some of the distributors currently in circulation,
- how to manage your albums,
- what are the waiting times before the publication of the song on the platform.
How to upload your music to Spotify for free
The first thing to do for upload your music to Spotify for free is to choose the distribution service based on the expense and your needs.
There are many distribution companies, each of which offers a different type of assistance and service from the other, at a cost that can vary depending on their reputation.
CD Baby, allows you to upload your own single on Spotify at a price of $ 9,95 per song or an album at a cost of $ 29, with a revenue, for those who publish, equal to 70% and the remaining 30% as a commission.
To get a complete overview of the most popular distribution services for uploading your music to Spotify, you can consult this page on Spotify guidelines.
As for us we will show the main sites that offer distribution on Spotify for free.
Amuse - to upload your music to Spotify
Amuse is a music distributor based in Stockholm, Switzerland and active since 2015.
It specializes in distribution and free licensing and gives artists the opportunity to earn 100% of the royalties, for each song released.
Amuse has distributed songs like "Old Town Road" by rapper Lil Nas X, so a rather important brand in the world of music. You can use this distributor to upload your songs to Spotify.
- go to the main page,
- click with the left mouse button on the Get Started button to start the registration procedure,
- within this screen, enter: name, surname, nationality, email address and telephone number in the dedicated form,
- confirm that you are over the age of 18, by checking I confirm that I'm over the age of 18,
- click on Continue to go on.
- confirm the operation by entering a 6-digit code, which was sent to us via SMS,
- click on the Verify button, to go to the configuration of your artist profile by choosing a suitable name,
- answer the question dedicated to any external experiences with Spotify by clicking on No,
- click on the Create New button to continue,
- select the Free plan by clicking on the Choose Start option.
Go to our inbox:
- open the e-mail containing the verification link,
- click on Verify your e-mail to complete the registration procedure and enter the section dedicated to the control panel.
Within this page you can manage your artist profile:
- notes on the members of our musical group,
- the connected platforms,
- you can decide to have an account by paying a subscription ranging from 20 euros to 50 euros, with the possibility of removing the limits of the free account (e.g. 12 releases per year and publication in 4 weeks instead of 2),
- check your wallet containing any proceeds obtained (the dollar sign).
By clicking on the gear symbol you can open the general account settings, from where you can:
- manage their personal data,
- administer receipts,
- receive assistance from the Amuse staff.
By clicking on the yellow Release button, we arrive at the page dedicated to uploading the songs.
The site will ask us to enter, using the appropriate text forms, the details of the song to be uploaded:
- the name of the song,
- the genre,
- the tongue.
- click on the (+) button to load the cover,
- better upload a photo that has a minimum size of 3000 x 3000 pixels and that does not include any text or symbols other than the title and your artist name,
- press the Next button to go to the next step.
In the second stage:
- click on the field marked Drag and drop or click to add your audio file to select the audio file to send,
- the site only supports files belonging to the WAV and FLAC formats and with a frequency of 44,000 Hz.
Once the file is uploaded:
- press on the Add details option to add further details such as:
- the name of the composers,
- the year of registration,
- the presence of vowels.
- Click on the Next button to continue.
The next phase is dedicated to the division of the earnings that will arrive:
- press the Add person button to add the data of one of our collaborators,
- use the arrows to modulate the percentage of earnings,
- save the settings by clicking on the Save splits for this track and Next buttons.
The fourth step of the process is dedicated to the distribution settings:
- choose the platforms on which to distribute the song,
- the countries that will be able to listen to it,
- check the date on which the song will be made available.
Amuse's free plan allows you to publish your songs on Spotify, but also on Apple Music, Deezer, Amazon Music, YouTube Music, TIDAL, Shazam and Claro Mùsica.
Once finished with the changes:
- click on Review to go to the last step.
The last step allows you to see a brief summary of the operations done previously.
After a check:
- click on Release to submit your request.
At this point, a team of experts will analyze our work. over the next few days, and will contact us if there are any problems.
If our request is valid, we will receive a confirmation email, which will communicate the release date of our song: the waiting times before publication could reach 4 weeks from confirmation.
Indiefy - to upload your music to Spotify
Unlike Amuse, which is more about professional-level music distribution, Indiefy is a service created for independent artists, to give them the right promotional tools for their launch.
It is possible to create a free Indiefy account and start using it right away to upload your songs to Spotify.
The site also offers the opportunity to take part in the Indiefy Pro subscription program:
- at the price of 14,99 pounds / month you can create your own cover and get immediate assistance for any problem.
Here we will illustrate how to proceed with the free account.
- go to the official Indiefy page,
- click on the button Start now for free, to start the registration procedure.
Once you have reached the login page:
- press the Subscribe button to open the registration form,
- fill it in by entering your email address, name, surname, password,
- tick the I accept the terms and conditions option,
- click on the Create an account button.
At this point:
- open the inbox,
- read the confirmation email sent by the system,
- click on the link provided to confirm your registration.
You can log in using your account: Facebook, Google and Twitte, r with the dedicated buttons on the login page.
We now have an account on Indiefy.
Once in the control panel, we can access the different sections of the site.
The main page of the dashboard, shows a brief summary overview of our latest activities, where you can view the latest updates from the developer blog.
By clicking on the icons on the left side of the screen you can:
- access the summary of the songs distributed,
- access the management of the artists saved on the account,
- view statistics and earnings,
- view promotion options,
- go to the page dedicated to the Indiefy Pro subscription.
At the top right, we find the dedicated buttons, accessible by clicking on the profile image:
- to monetization,
- to notifications,
- to a quick link to the support page,
- when the site language changes,
- to the management of your account.
We now come to the song loading procedure, accessible by clicking on the (+) button, or from the New version button, on the right side of the control panel.
At the first access, the site will ask you to create a new artist by filling out a form in which to enter name of art, genre of music, email. You will then find the links to the Facebook, YouTube, Instagram and Twitter accounts and to the profile image.
Click on the Save button to proceed with the insertion of the music piece
During the first step you will be asked to enter the main data related to the distribution of a digital release.
Use the drop-down menus and text forms to enter:
- he name of art,
- the title,
- the genre,
- the sub-genre,
- the language of the song,
- as well as specifying the presence of any past experience with Spotify or other distributors.
- Before ending the operation, we will be asked to set a possible release date, initially pre-set 3 weeks after sending the request.
- At the end click on the Continue button to go on.
- In this way we will have access to the tab dedicated to uploading the actual file.
- It can load any WAV and MP3 file.
- Using the buttons on the screen it is possible to notify the presence of texts or other materials, or add other credits of our collaborators.
- Click on the Continue button, to go to the next step.
In the third phase we arrive at the creation of the cover of the album or single.
You can upload a self-produced file:
- by clicking on the gray space marked Choose an Image,
or use the editor inside the site, selecting the background, the font to use.
- Drag the sliders to increase their size,
- use the arrows on the sides of the screen to choose the most suitable wallpaper,
- click on Continue.
The next step concerns the selection of the platforms, on which our song will be released. Since we are talking about a procedure performed with a free account, Spotify as well as other services: Deezer, Apple Music and YouTube Music will be the only options that can be selected by clicking on the dedicated switches.
Once the procedure is complete:
- click on the Continue button to go to the final step of the procedure.
In the last step, you will be given the opportunity to check everything, before clicking on the Send button at the bottom of the page to definitively send the request.
A team of experts will check our proposal and contact us as soon as possible about the outcome.
If it is positive, we will have to wait 3 weeks, at the end of which the song will finally be available on Spotify and on the other available services.
Other services to upload your music to Spotify
We've looked at just a few of the major music distribution services out there for uploading your music to Spotify.
However, there are others, of which we provide a short list here:
- RouteNote - a free distribution service that aims to offer all its users complete control of royalties and its functions. To get more services, you can choose the Premium version, for a fee, starting from $ 10 for the release of a single, up to $ 45 for albums, or contact the site staff to arrange a payment. to RouteNote All Access functions and receive support and advice sessions for your account.
- Soundrop - an inexpensive service dedicated to Internet content creators. Registration on the site is totally free, but to release your songs you need to pay a small contribution of 99 cents, which will cover all distribution and licensing costs, allowing you to receive 100% of your royalties right away.
- Freshtunes - this is a free service that allows artists to publish their songs and upload your music to Spotify, not only on Spotify, but also on other platforms such as: Apple Music and YouTube. Plus, you can invest in your project and allow the team behind Freshtunes to promote our music on their official channels.